Friday, 16 October 2009

Update - Swine-flu-aments

So it's 12:10 on a Friday afternoon, and I find myself in bed writing this blog, wrapped up in my nice warm quilt, watching Only Fools and Horses on DVD. Normally this would be an awesome way for anyone to spend a day, but I'd rather be slaving away doing whatever chores or work I could find at the moment. The reason being is that I have swine flu, and I can't enjoy myself if I have swine flu because I feel like shit.

So I thought I'd stop being lazy and write the blog post, updating last weeks poker results and plans for the future etc. I've been doing a lot of poker related thinking lately, even more than usual, so it'll do me good to write up my thoughts.

Firstly last weeks results; disappointing to say the least. I played a session on Friday and a session on Saturday. Friday I got deep in the $2.75/$7.5k which had just under $3000 for 1st. I lost a flip for just over a million chips with about 30 players left. I wouldn't usually mind busting out deep as I'm used to it, but when busting out deep is 6am deep, and I lose out on a lot of sleep it's kinda annoying.

So Saturday, I went deep in another tournament, the $5 6max, again a tournament that starts later in my session (seems odd that I never final table tournaments, or even get deep in tournaments from earlier on in my session), I ended up getting 19th after another cooler situation I think. Again I wouldn't usually mind but that time it was 6:30am that I went to sleep, so it left me ridiculously tilted all day Sunday.

Monday night I went to see Bloc Party live at a venue near where I live. They were amazing to say the least. It's a shame though as we were evacuated before they played the final song as someone set the fire alarm off. People were beginning to be let back in, but we felt it wasn't worth another 30 minutes of queueing, and 30 minutes getting out again just for 1 more song so we left and hit the McDonalds on the way back. Thinking back now the woman behind the counter at McDonalds didn't look well so it wouldn't surprise me if it was her that gave me the flu, bitch.

Anyway plans for the future in poker. I've always wanted to get into cash games but have never really been good enough at them, I seem to suck at playing post flop, thus shallow tournament stacks suit my play more. But one of my friends who was a backed MTT player for tourns upto $55s on normal days and all the majors on Sundays, was recently dropped for whatever reason by his backer. However instead of looking for a new backer like you would assume would be the sensible option, he has been using his FPPs to generate cash and has been grinding 0.01/0.02 cash tables. Another reason I always found cash games boring was because I never really spoke to anyone playing at the same levels as me, so I had no motivation, but I've been thinking it would be cool if I could get a little cash roll of my own to play with during weekdays when I don't play MTT sessions, and my friend and I could have friendly competitions etc to motivate ourselves as we moved up through the levels together from the micros.

Sounds fun right? I'm hoping that I can convince my backer to let me keep a separate little cash roll of my own for this venture, then I'll buy myself a copy of PokerTracker and get tackling the micro cash tables. Then in the long run, if I get good enough at cash games I could adopt those as my main game, and play the MTTs for fun at weekends etc, resulting in a more consistent income for me. Obviously that is a long way away from the 2nl tables, but with the friendly competition I'm sure we'll both progress pretty quickly.

That's about all for now, I think I'll get the work stuff sorted that I've been delaying for weeks now so that I can finally get paid, then I'll probably watch a film or something before I play a session or something later.

Til next time

DoubtImReal

No comments:

Post a Comment